Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mercy

"When a person's ways are pleasing to the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him."-Proverbs 16:7 (God's Word translation)

Recently I went with a friend to see the film "Les Miserables" starring Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe and Anne Hathaway. I was mesmerized by their performances as well as the underlying themes of love, mercy and redemption throughout the film.

The story was written by Victor Hugo about life in 19th century France. The main character, Jean Valjean was convicted for stealing bread to feed his sister's children. Valjean managed to break parole and was aggressively hunted by the policeman, Javert. Valjean was shown mercy by a priest, who offered him food and shelter. Once Valjean accepted this undeserved favour (definition of mercy), he was able to bestow the same mercy to others who crossed his path. Even Javert, once he caught up with Valjean, allowed him to escape, which left him in a dilemma. For those who still want to see the film, I will not give away anymore.

I will confess I cried like a baby throughout the film. Nose running, eyes red, the works! I was not a pretty sight! Once I returned home and processed my emotions, I realized that the film reminded me of the depth of Christ's love and mercy towards me. Jesus left the majesty and magnificence of heaven to come to earth to die a cruel death for my sins. I deserved to die for my thoughts and deeds, not Him. Yet He decided that, despite my thoughts and deeds, I was worthy enough to have my life spared so that I could have eternal life with Him in Heaven.  This is God's love in action towards me....and you can experience it too! This verse came to mind after watching the film:

"The greatest love you can show is to give your life for your friends."-John 15:13 (God's Word translation)

Never take His love for granted! Hope you make the time to see the film. It is amazing! If you are not into musicals, you may find it difficult to sit through. In my opinion, I think it's worth it!

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment